PLUS AN UNRELEASED INTERVIEW WITH MIKEY DREAD!
I recently put together these videos to feature several vinyl selections from the MIDNIGHT RAVER archives. In my opinion, Mikey Dread was the greatest reggae DJ to ever grace the airwaves. You can never go wrong by Mikey Dread so if you ever come across a Dread At The Controls record make sure to scoop it up.
5 THINGS YOU DIDN’T KNOW ABOUT MIKEY DREAD:
1. Mikey Dread graduated from university in 1976 with a degree in engineering and electronics.
2. Mikey Dread’s very first job was as a radio engineer at the Jamaica Broadcasting Corporation. Not long after being hires by the JBC in 1976, “DJ Mikey Dread” talked management into giving him a show to feature reggae on the radio (which at the time was playing mostly bland foreign pop music).
3. After releasing several successful albums in the late 1970s, The Clash invited him to England to produce the triple album Sandinista. Dread and Clash singer Joe Strummer would remain best friends until Strummer’s death in 2002.
4. In 1993, Mikey Dread began working in TV with the Caribbean Satellite Network (CSN) where he was Program Director and On Air personality as well as Producer of various shows. He furthered his knowledge of TV/Video Production at the Art Institute of Ft. Lauderdale, where he graduated in 1996 with Honors and at Lynn University in Boca Raton, Florida where he earned a Bachelor of Arts Degree in International Communications, with Magna Cum Laude honors.
5. Mikey Dread worked closely with producer Trevor Elliot to launch musical career of reggae singer Edi Fitzroy.
Several live tracks from 2013’s Live In Scotland:
And finally we have a 1982 interview with Mikey Dread conducted by Washington, DC radio DJ Tom Terrell:
And a rare interview from March 1982 in Zig Zag Magazine…