I can sum up these demo recordings in one word: stunning. The sound quality: excellent. The track listing: excellent. Vocal performance: excellent. Uprising is considered by many to be Bob Marley and the Wailers‘ crowning achievement. A perfect album. Magnum Opus. The Seargent Pepper’s of roots reggae.
It is by far my favorite album.
1980, UPRISING DEMOS, NEVILLE GARRICK SOURCE, 1-CD
01. Redemption Song (Band Version) (Demo) (Alternate 2) (3:11)
VG. Bob sings “Sweet songs of freedom”, no guitar or keyboard licks here, additional bongos.
02. Coming In From The Cold (Alternate Echo Dub) (Demo) (4:34)
Start with the echoed lead vocals only, music starts later. Much echo on the remaining lead vocals that are mixed in and out. EX. Longest source.
03. Coming In From The Cold (Dub) (Demo) (5:03)
Here some more vocals of Bob are audible, mixed away at the Dub Discomix. Much echo on the remaining lead vocals. Lead guitar with effects, bongos. EX.
04. Bad Card (Alternate Mix) (Demo) (2:57)
vocals like album track, including harmonies. EX. Cut at end. The only difference to the album track is the earlier starting harmonies singing “Draw bad card” at the end of verse 1.
05. Could You Be Loved (Demo) (Alternate 1) (3:44)
EX. More power as the album track, no further difference.
06. Bad Card (Solo) (Demo) (2:44)
vocals like album track, no harmonies. EX.
07. Trench Town (Demo 2, faster) (3:14)
Recorded 1978. Alternate lead vocals. No harmonies.
08. Forever Loving Jah (Alternate) (Demo) (3:46)
alternate lead vocals, with harmonies. EX
09. We And Them (Solo) (Alternate) (Demo) (4:56)
Bob is scatting in between the song and at end of the song, similar to the Mother B recording. no harmonies.
10. Work (Alternate) (Demo) (3:26)
Alternate lead vocals: “Weeee” instead of “We can make it work”. VG.
11. Redemption Song (Band Version) (Demo) (Alternate 1) (3:16)
VG. No count-in here. Bob sings “Sweet Songs of Freedom“, sweet guitar and keyboard licks, no bongos.
12. Zion Train (Solo) (Demo) (3:,55)
No harmonies. VG.
13. Pimper’s Paradise (Alternate Different Mix) (Demo) (0:58)
Seemingly the alternate but cut very early, here including more harmonies right from the start, EX.
14. We And Them (Demo 3) (5:53)
Bob is scatting in between the song and at end of the song, similar to the Mother B recording. no harmonies. VG.DOWNLOAD
Got this in a trade lineage might be
wow…my seed is still around..right on…
YES I…many are still circulating…respect
Thanks for this! Do you happen to have the Full Watts Tonight demos?
of course we got that bro
Is it available here at your blog? I can’t seem to find it.